IRC Mid tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo Hoo!

Well, managed to get the wheels put togerther today at work, and this evening fitted the shocks properly, and as promised: Her's pics of the build in Roller State! :-D

Mock up of the roll bars, these will be made out of M6 studding bent in the same shape as the spokes, as long as it clears the head on the lrp...

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

The front bits are from a bike to hold a brake cable and give adjustment, but they fit in teh roll rar, and have an M6 hole in them to fit the studding... :-D

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

Shocks use standard stand off's on teh shock towers and 6mm spacers on the A-Arms.

DSC00205.jpg

This is full lock, the tyre rubs on full lock when the truck had no weight on it, but with a bit of sag in the shocks should be cool. Will be keeping an eye on this though...

DSC00207.jpg

I REALLY Like the wheels... :-D Bow ties out back, crime fighters out front should give better side grip and turn in on the front...That's the plan anyways...

DSC00208.jpg

Front end, sorry for crap pic, lost a few bolts for the wheels, but am kinda liking the black ones I put in their place...Hmmm...Silver wheels with black bolts...??

DSC00210.jpg

Rear end, the bumpers will be replaved, as the front one is missing the bracing post thing and they look ****ty...Like the angle the shocks are at too...

DSC00211.jpg

Side on, The engine (goosed) and 'zaust are only on for mock-up.

DSC00213.jpg

Will play around properly with spring rates at a later date...When the thing's running (God I wish this engine wasn't seized...) Starting to think that the leverage ratio is too great with the shocks on the standard towers, semms to respond to small bumps well enough (rolling it along) butspring rate ramps up toward the end of the stroke, allthough this could be a good thing fr bashing...

That's about it for a while guys...

COMMENTS?!

;-)

A very happy v

It's lookin good Dan. I'm planning on going with IRC when I get the money to do a proper mid-tank rebuild. Right now I'm goin old school with the mid-tank til I can get the money saved up. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Mate, the whole thing has gone together super sweet. Rob's doing the Mid tank kit cheap at the moment (£35 to £25) and it's cool that the reciever tray incoperates the servo mount too, makes for a damn clean install, IMO, but looks a bit shabby with the tank just sort of sat there, a production version of what I have done, encasing both sides of the tank would be super sweet, and may be on the cards for the future... :D

Well, been playing around today, and am not happy with the shock set up:-

*I'm not getting full use of the shocks travel;
*To get the truck sitting somewhere near right, I have to add a lot of preload;
*Still not happy on the rising rate of the springs;
*Rear shock tower is really flexy when the rear shocks move;

So, Have ordered some more stuff from Rob! :bluehack:

tower.jpg

These should allow me to get it set up how I like, mount the battery box a bit neater and get a wing on a bit neater too...

money man

Just want to get the thing running now so I can give it a damn good thrashing! :stickspank:

Update time!!

Well, thought it was time for an update with some pics...

I have fited the wing, the IRC towers (man these are propper beefy!) and prepared the shell ans started painting (pics will follow when it's done)

I have on order:
Spur Gear; Clutch Bell; Clutch (gone HN Ally shoe route, not the V6 in the end;) Mugen 1.1's for the Shoes; Motorsaver sav90 and a glow starter.

The wing mount is an LRP S8 and needed a bit cutting to get the flat to sit olong the towers biut is nice and strong. We'll see how it copes with some cartwheels...

All that's left is the lrp, some fuel and bottle, then a buku when the £/$ is more favourable!

Now on with the pics!!

DSC00230.jpg

Wing mount fits on the tower nicely, should be straight, but is a bit bent as I'm not drilling more holes, mainly cos I don't have a pillar drill.

DSC00231.jpg

Vale For 09!!! :-D

DSC00232.jpg

Top fin has some False CF film and an IRC Sticker on it.

DSC00233.jpg

Hopefully it's rearward enough to clear most of the shell...

DSC00235.jpg

Crappy overview pic...

DSC00237.jpg

Shocks are too beefy to clear the towers without some spacers, here-rivet washers.

DSC00238-1.jpg

Rear ones just have washers on...

DSC00239-1.jpg

Looks cool, IMO.

Cheers Boys.

Last edited by a moderator:
It Runs!!!!!!!!!

Well, the Engine came in the post today!

Nosram RS.28 Evo, same as the LRP Spec 3, but £35 cheaper.

Here's some pics of the mill:
DSC00249.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00251-1.jpg

DSC00252-1.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00258-1.jpg

DSC00259-1.jpg

Can't quite see, but the port in the case has fangs machined into it (best way to describe them, sorry)
DSC00262-1.jpg

Looks awefully like the Lrp:
prv_prd_194x142_32802-03.jpg

DSC00264-1.jpg

DSC00265-1.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00268-1.jpg

As does the Sleeve:
prv_prd_194x141_32802-02.jpg

DSC00269-1.jpg

Hog nor long life ally shoes, mugen 1.1's, 18t vented cb

Here it is in the truck:
DSC00270-1.jpg

The only thing I can see that's different (not held an lrp in the hand) is the LRP's head has three machined chunks out of it, the Nosram has two...

I've run three tanks through it so far today, heated it up with a heat gun first to around 160f, then run it through rich, just in circles on the drive, getiing it up to a maximum of 190.8f, (manual recomends 165-195.) Keeps coming on strong, really impressed with the grunt this thing has, even from factory settings. Had to lean it out an 8th to keep temps up on the third tank, but I'm guessing cos it's bedding in further and further. I have only km old k 4.6 to compare to, but am well impressed! Might do a bit of a polish job on the crank and sleeve when it's run in...
Button isn't to a mirror, so may well do this too...

All in, it's all good!

Happy Days! :-D

Well, charged the hump pack up enough to run the 4th tank through, and this is one beast! I've ordered a new hump pack and charger, as the venom 1200mah won't turn the wheels after 5 minutes of running, after 3 odd hours charging...Hmmm...goosed me thinks!

Cheers Bud, I will as soon as I start tuning it and have access to a nice big car park (damn the people working!) As I need to drive and film, and I'm not the most co-ordinated, lol!

Sweet looking savy you got therebud.Can't wait to see some video of it.

bad word

bad word
Well, not having a servo saver in the steering has screwed the gears in the servo, so a set to be ordered as well as a servo saver steering unit. Bugger. :(

Finito! :D

Well finished trimming the body today. Front window is going to be meshed with access to the fuel tank. Going to cut and mesh the front grill too. Need to cut a hole for the pullstart, then finished. Run 5th and 6th tanks through and leaned it out a bit, got up to 204, and as soon as it's nice again will get a vid shot and get the thing tuned a bit more, probably gone acouple of turns on the main and half on the lsn. Idle needs to be a jot higher, but will play when I shoot the vid-prob after work on the weekend, garden isn't big enough to shoot and drive, lol. The motor's getting there now, starting to pull the front up and is really shifting top end, and has a bit of mid-range to it too. Anyhow, they say a picture tells a few words, so here's a bucket load of pics. :D Comments please. I know the body's crap, used cheapo masking tape from work, but it's going to be a bashing shell anyways. I think I may paint another (longer body at somepoint. :D

DSC00272-1.jpg

Flippy change paint masked off with dots and then back coated with black, was going for an outline around the dots, but unsuceeded. :C
DSC00274-1.jpg

DSC00275-1.jpg

DSC00277-1.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

Oh, and I need a front bumber, broke an adjustable arm on a flower pot today. :yellowhack:

:jamout::jamout::jamout:

Latest posts

Members online

Back