IRC Mid tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[hs] darkshine

I Keep Breakin $h!t
Well, the 3.5 turned up the other day (Second hand off flea bay-only £102, so not complaining!) in a bit of a sorry state.

Faults so far-
*Cracked rear plate on the mill; (gunna be replaced, was gunna run it when I've finished, but now not going to bother)
*Cracked engine mount;
4 bevel diff in the front only;
*Shocks leaking and bent shafts (again, going to be replaced anyways)

So, I bought a nice box of stuff from IRC! :drunk:

Here's what turned up:
DSC00055.jpg

In the box of tricks we have:
*LCG 6mm front extended TVp's, dogbone and engine plate;
*Mid tank kit;
*Hellfire tank;
*Ally Diff cases;
*high tensile screw kit

Now I make no bones about buying the mid tank kit, the last effort I made for my old 4.6 looked like horse doo doo! Rob's stuff is first rate and I want to have sort of a 'factory look' to this build. I have no time constraints, just money-A R6 and a Girlfriend to fund, lol!

Here's some pics of the mock up of everything (Stuff from IRC turned up before the savage, lol!)
DSC00059.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

Was really impressed with the fit of everything, the last set of tvp's I had for the old savage were a bit off, but these are spot on, also nice quick delivery too! :resp:

So, it was time (when it turned up) to tear the Savage down and get it partially built...

Sooo:
DSC00070.jpg

Front diff tore down, IRC diff case installed, bevel gears shimmed and a nice lightweight oil put in (I personally prefer a greater differential action on the front than the rear) and screws replaced with IRC Hi-Ten items. I don't know WTF the previous owner did, but there were wood screws, hex heads, a right freaking miss-mash affair, so glad I got the screw kit, lol!

DSC00071.jpg

Front end put back together, not sure who makes the steering posts, but nice and flex-free, allthough it binds a bit-this shouldn't be an issue for the servo I have planned. :)

DSC00072.jpg

Another view of the front end.

DSC00074.jpg

One TVP on, gearbox installed-The adjuster holes were filled with a lithium (I'm guessing-it was white) grease, so stripped down-the whole box was caked in the stuff, so out came the brake cleaner...It's only got two holes for adjustment in it, so will probably be swapped out for an x version when I go three speed, this is what I did on the 46.

DSC00075.jpg

Reciever/servo box in, and it's as tight as you would want it, the plastic ring on the output shaft from the box has to come off.

DSC00076.jpg

See, it's mightilly tight-and I think a HD drive cup might be needed, if this is what a .21 has done...

DSC00077.jpg

Rear diff on, filled with a nice thick gloopy cv grease, nice and not a lot of slip. Throttle servo (basic hi-tec for now) in place as well.

DSC00078.jpg

Closer up view of the front end, the IRC kit angles the front end toward the middle of the truck, so alltohugh 6mm longer, the body posts are in roughly the same place.

And that's all I have done so far...

On Order I have:
*Ace DS1313 Servo (0.13 sec/deg @ 6V and 12.5 kg/cm (173.6 oz/in) @ 6V;)
*Acoms Techisport Radio linky here Was gunna go with the spektrum again, but for under £60, ain't complaining at this, and I'm only gunna be bashing;
*6V 1200 Hump pack-Not the biggest, but should be ok for a while;
*Firestorm battery box;

Bit's I'm thinking on:
*Shocks-IRC again or Hpi big bores? HELP!!;
*Integy Rear C hubs, negating tie bars;
*3 Speed;
*Mill?!;
*Gearing for mill;
*Body Shell;
*Wheels and tyres-proline 40 series with dirt bones style tres (completely forgot the name!;)
*IRC LST Mounts (If going that route;)
*Exhaust (Ribbed pipe again? Damn loud though...;)

Any comments/help appreciated.
Oh, happy Xmas all! :santa:

Cheers boys,
Dan.

I think you might have problems down the road with that steering as it has no servo saver.I had the same deal and had no luck with them at all!very nice build though!gonna b sweet!

great build. I'm strongly considering the same set-up for one of mine. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Jon.

nice build up darkshine...... would it be possible for you to get/include the cost of your build & maybe the appx shipping to us in us dollars?
Looking good bro..... lots of fun!

nice build up darkshine...... would it be possible for you to get/include the cost of your build & maybe the appx shipping to us in us dollars?
Looking good bro..... lots of fun!

Well god knows what the exchange rate is atm, but prices based on $1.47 to the pound as follows:

*Savage: £122/$179.34 (Includes £20 shipping)
*IRC Diff cases (x2): £24/$35.28
*IRC Screw kit: £22/$32.34
*IRC Mid Tank Kit: £25/$36.75 All IRC Stuff Ships free
*Hellfire Tank (IRC): £12/$17.64
*IRC TVP Kit: £60/$88.20

The Stuff on order is the following:
*Acoms Radio: £56.05/$82.39
*Hump pack and charger: £18.05/$26.53
*Postage for the above: £4/$5.88
*Ace DS Servo (ebay): £40.01/$58.81
*Batt Box (ebay): £3.98/$5.85

I'll price up anything that gets fitted Guys.

Dan.

Thats going to be once sick looking savage.

Thanks Fella.

Well, have been thinking and playing today...

On the old 46 I had one of these switches:
e5fe36ecb65ddb7e1a8a96f2d8e55338.jpg

It's an irvine unit, and as you can see, has a charging port for the hump pack too... Question is, where to mount it, battery box going to be on the shock tower and no chance of getting it-and being accessable in the reciever box either, so...

As the Hellfire tank ain't that big, and there is a bit of space around it, it'll go in there...
DSC00080.jpg

First of all, cut the outline of the tank on some card:
DSC00081.jpg

Top view of the card:
DSC00082.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

Then with the aid of my trusty bandsaw (albeit with a wood blade in it...) chopped a piece of 1.2mm ally sheet in the same shape (ish) as the cardboard.

DSC00099.jpg

Folded the edge and made space for the front diff too.

DSC00100.jpg

Will probably leave this end like this.

The plate will have a hole cut in it for the switch (when I have decided on other stuff to be ordered from je spares, failing miserably to find anyone in the UK who does Integy rear axle carriers, so might have to go for the hpi items and remove the purpleness. :(
The plate will also (probably) have some carbon fibre sheet over it, just to tart it up a bit, as the sheet is a bit scratched.

Also-decided to have a play with throttle and brake linkages:
DSC00083.jpg

The brass connectors are out of a 2 amp terminal connector, and the rods slide nicely, if this doesn't play properly I'll probably get a dynamite mod and use that, but I had these laying about so thought I'd give them a go. Black spring was on the brake arm with the truck, silver one out of a biro! :duh:

DSC00084.jpg

Another view.

Appologies for poor photos, camera phone kept whiting everything out.

Anyone any thoughts on Engine for the beasty or Shocks, will probably be going IRC again, or are the HPI big bores the nuts? Not overly keen on the plastic clip preload adjusters though tbh. It's only gunna be for bashing? Thoughts and comments please people?! :drunk:

Dan.

As for a power plant I would probably go Picco P3 and if not that probably LRP because they have the best power for the buck. Shocks- The Big bores are nice but like you stated they failed when they didn't thread them. I have a set of LST2 shocks and love them, they are very plush.

Well decided on the HPI Solid Rear carriers, and will strip the purple off them, should be here in a few days, so will soon let you know of how they fit. Switch should be here soon, as should teh batt box, hump, radio and steering servo-might get it looking truck-like soon, lol!

Dan.

Well, the postman came bearing gifts this morning, unfortunately the courrier turned up whilst i was at work and they wouldn't re-direct the Acoms and the hump pack to my work, so that should be here tomorrow. Anyhoo, here's what turned up today:

DSC00108.jpg

Ace DS1313 Servo, battery box and a New engine mount to replace the cracked one that came with the Sav.

DSC00109.jpg

Big MF Innit?

DSC00110.jpg

Ally Heat sink.
Specs on the Servo are:
* Transit time: 0.13 sec/deg @ 6V
* Torque: 12.5 kg/cm (173.6 oz/in) @ 6V
* Weight: 66g (2.328 oz)

So, After staring at it for a while and thinking how weighty it is, time to fit the thing:
DSC00114.jpg

Easy! Well, it's a squeeze, and the rubber washer jobbies are a no-no with the mid-tank, as the rear bracket will not sit low enough with them, so didn't fit them.

DSC00112.jpg

Side view, I thought the nyloc nut might have to come off...but...

DSC00118.jpg

Tight, but Fine! No binding througout the servo's travel, speaking of which...

DSC00115.jpg

Lock to....

DSC00116.jpg

Lock! :D

DSC00119.jpg

Covered the ally sheet in fake carbon fibre sheet, the real stuff I have wouldn't bend and stick, this vynl based sheet does, doesn't look brilliant and not sure how it'll hold up to fuel, but we'll see, and it was cheap through work, lol!

Also today, fitted the battery box and here she be:
DSC00123.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

Other than that i've torn the rear end down in preperation for the rear solid axle carriers, and as soon as I get the reciever mounted, I'll cut a hole in the cf covered ally sheet for the charging switch and tidy up the cables then bond the sheet to the fuel tank.

Thoughts/Comments?

Dan. ;-)

Appologies for appearing to do nothing for a while...

Right, updates:

Radio and hump pack Arrived the other day, and I have to say I'm bloody impressed!

Some piccys:
DSC00125.jpg

The box, which contains...

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Tx, couple of sevo's, battery pack, switch and...

DSC00129.jpg

The smallest Rx I have seen!
It's got to be less than an inch suare and half inch deep! It's three channel, apparently a telemetry system is planned.... ;-)

DSC00127.jpg

It fits the hand nicely, I personally would prefer a smaller finger gap in the trigger, but some foam tape on the brake side should do the trick...
The display will display (no, really):
*batery voltage;
*Steering and throttle end points when being set;
*Steering rate, when being set;
*That's about all I can see so far...

Right, now down to the nitty griiy, I am gunna find it hard to slate this too much, cos it only cost me £56.05 (roughly $80) but:
*It feels plasticy, I have had an old style dx3 and it is no worse than that;
*The wheel had a bit of slop play in it, so time will tell how it holds out;
*The instructions are worse than useless-Really rubbish translation, but thankfully there are a few helpfull people online.

Good points:
*It's cheap;
*It will take a tx pack, and has a charging socket;
*No crystals;
*no metal-to-metal interference;
*Recievers are around £15/$22;
*Built-in failsafe (an arse to set up, especially with the instructions, but hunt it out on line and it's a piece of the preverbial);

I'm still building the truck, so can't comment on range or use in the field, but it's supposed to have 5.5ms delay, I believe the old style spekkys are 5, and the newer ones are down to 3. But I can't tell.

Now, updates with the truck:
*It's in a few pieces, lol!
*Made a wheeley wheel;
*Thinking on making a roll cage;
*3 Speed tranny ordered;
*17mm hex conversion axles ordered;
*IRC 23mm hexes (for the above) ordered;
*IRC Shock stand off's ordered.

I'm still waiting the irvine switch and solid rear carriers, hopefully they will be here soon, same with the above.

So, as funds allow, contemplating:
*LRP .30, will need a 'zaust for this, thoughts;
*Ally clutch shoes;
*17/49 gearing;
*Proline beadlocks and bow ties;
*IRC LST Shocks (Rob's been busy, should be back in stock end of this week)
*Land Rover body shell! :-D;

Can't think of owt else!

I'm now off to carve some chunks out of my fromt axle carriers so I can get a decent sterring angle!

Will update as stuff rolls in.

Dan.

For half the price I was going to pay for the dx3 I ain't complaining, lol!

Hub carriers and switch are due to be with me in a few days, so will post an update as soon as I get some stuff done....Realy contemplating an STS D30, as there's one going cheap on ebay...I think I'm gunna keep an eye on it.

Dan.

I got it from here as I'm in the Uk, but i believe it's available both sides of the pond, believe it's branded an Acoms Hyabusa (like the bike) over there...Yeah, I can't wait either bud, just to have a savage again, lol!

Dan.

Well, mini Update time!
:-D

Got through the door this evening to sse two parcells (and two 'you were out, so we didn't deliver the stuff you are waiting for, it's at the sorting office, whic, by the time you read this is shut. :-( ) on the doorstep. One was a bore cap removal tool for my disk brakes on my bike, so won't bore you with that, anyways, the solid rear carriers have turned up. Pics:

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

As you can see, the stock lower pin is too long, so will either shorten that down or, more probably get a bolt from work and use that-unfortunately a shock mount bolt is too short. I do like HPI Hop-ups though, the fit is spot on, bearings sit snug and all's good. The carriers have a built in toe angle, and have two positions for camber adjustment. But they are purple...never mind, lol!

Aslo, fitted the swich:
DSC00170.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

With charge port. :-D

DSC00174-1.jpg

Which gives plenty of room to tuck the wires in. :)
As soon as I pick the three speed up from the post office, I can get it looking like a truck again, lol! Will post pics when It's back together.

Dan.

I'm loving that on/off switch with the built in charging point,
If you are ever round the Bristol area give me a shout and we can go out for a bash sesion if your up for it?

Nice build you got going on...:eek:)

Cheers fella, It's an Irvine one from JE Spares, had one on my old savage, but have actually intergrated it into the build quite nicely (I think) on this occasion. I don't thin I'm gunna be down that way for a while bud (don't drive, and cant really carry everything on the r6 lol!)

Looking forward to getting it looking like a truck again, then getting paid to spank money on it, lol!

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update Time (Again!)
Well Everything Turned up this morning, so built the truck back together.

some pics for now, untill I get paid.

DSC00175.jpg

Build so far.

DSC00176.jpg

Build so far.

DSC00177.jpg

Build so far.

DSC00178.jpg

Spaced out the lower pin with some fuel tube, it'll do for now untill i can get a 2ba bolt long enough to fit in.

DSC00179.jpg

Home-made (well, work-made...I was bored, lol) wheeley wheel. We'll soon see how it fares...

DSC00182.jpg

Think some adjustable arms are needed, looks awefully like positive camber to me....Wheels would help too...

DSC00183.jpg

IRC 23mm hex adapters, They fit on the HPI 17mm Axle conversions, I like them, because they are left hand threaded for the right of the truck, unlike the proline ones that I had on the old Sav, which had a nasty habbit of coming undone... :-(

DSC00184.jpg

Skid plate shot, lol.

Peace out.

Dan.

Well I have some adjustable arms on the truck now and a nice bit of negative camber going on. :)

Will update with pics as soon as more stuff rolls in (including money!)

Dan.

The plan...

Well thought I'd share my plan with you guys, Should have a running truck in three months, lol! I'm limiting myself to around £150 ($219) a month to spend on the beasty...(£/$ is 1/1.46)

End of this month I will be getting:
*IRC LST Shocks (In Black) and Standoffs______£74.30_/_$108.48
*Proline Commando Beadlocks (40 Series)______£49.90_/_$72.85
*Proline Bow Ties (40 Series)________________£36.98_/_$53.99
Total: £161.18_/_$235.32

Next Step:
*Proline Dodge Ram Shell____________________£19.48_/_$28.44
*Hog Nor High Downforce Wing_______________£8.89_/_$12.98
*New Era Wing Mount______________________£17.99_/_$23.27
*Throttle Linkage kit_______________________£9.99_/_$14.59
*Team Orion V6 Clutch_____________________£44.36_/_$64.77
*17t Vented Clutch Bell____________________£7.99_/_$11.67
*49t Spur Gear___________________________£6.79_/_$9.91
*Motor Saver Air Filter_____________________£12.07_/_$17.62
*Ansman 3000mAh Glow Starter_____________£13.94_/_$20.35
Total: £141.50_/_$206.59

Last Step!:
*LRP Z.28 Spec 3_________________________£145.99_/_$213.15
*Byrons Race Gen 2 25%___________________£24.99_/_$36.49
Total:£170.98_/_$249.63

I figure running the Stock (Crappy Plastic) Exhaust during run in of the engine. Need some thoughts on a decent exhaust for the mill though, more concerned with mid range clout than top end, tbh. It's gunna be a basher, so any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Prices are from JE Spares over here in the Uk, as they ship free if over £50. If I can get stuff a lot cheaper including shipping I will, lol!

Cheers,
Dan.

those 23mm hexes look money! They don't show them available on IRC website in black though =( I like the fact that they fit the hpi 17mm conv

I orderd the clear anodized ones and got sent the black. ;-)

The only gripe I have with them is they secure by a dowel pin and grub screw...the pin will fall out without wheels on, but a dab of tape or super glue in the hole fixes it. Quality product though, will see how they fit when I get some wheels, but knowing Robs' stuff it'll be first rate.

:D

EDIT:I (stupidly) was using 12x2.5mm dowel pins. The adaptors come with 16x3, these do not fall through and grip the HPI 17mm axle conversions really well. And DO NOT fall all the way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini-Update

Well, got the IRC Shocks through the post this morning. Got them of ebay for £45...And Rob still doesn't have any in stock. Stripped them all down, and they're in good shape, given a good clean and fresh oil in them. They have some scuffs to teh bodys but nothing major. Mounted using the 6mm spacers on the stock A-arms. Have ordered standoffs from IRC this morning, so as soon as they turn up can get them mounted to the shock towers properly. Also Ordered the Proline Beadlocks, and Bow ties. I also Ordered a pair of Crime fighters, gunna run the bow ties on the back and fighters on the front, hopefully should help the front end tuck in better, we'l see. Mocked up a roll cage over the head of the 3.5 mill, but don't know if the lrp is going to be taller, so not finishing it till I get the mill.
Wheels should be delivered to me at work tomorrow, so will get them mounted instead of actually doing anything, lol! I'll post up some pics in the next couple of days as soon as everything rocks up

the book

Latest posts

Members online

Back