Should I grease dogbones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbd

Hey guys my savage x4.6 had a head on collision with a pole not my fault of course impact was so bad left front axle dogbone blew out never to be found. Question when i install new dogbone do the ends get any grease on them or do they just go in dry?

Hey guys my savage x4.6 had a head on collision with a pole not my fault of course impact was so bad left front axle dogbone blew out never to be found. Question when i install new dogbone do the ends get any grease on them or do they just go in dry?

I don't think it hurts anything.I use it although it doesn't stay in there very long

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of teflon or graphite dry lube works pretty well, some use chain lube also, I prefer graphite dry lube as it does not attract dirt to the joints.....

A bit of teflon or graphite dry lube works pretty well, some use chain lube also, I prefer graphite dry lube as it does not attract dirt to the joints.....
Yep. I use wax based chain lube on all my bones/cups/cvd joints on all my trucks.
https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Original-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B000C14HL0

A bottle lasts quite a few years as long as you make sure to put the cap on tight. Just make sure to shake it before applying so the wax particles are mixed. When it dries, it leaves a coating of wax on everything, which doesn't attract dirt like grease does.

Also I just discovered that there is supposed to be a "o ring" that goes into the diff output cup and the axle cup. Seems to take up the slack when suspension is full travel up or down. Page 60 of the manual, and the part number is 6811.

Do NOT use grease. The grease will mix with dirt and literally grind your bone ends and prematurely destroy them. Dogbones and diff cups are a known "consumable" wear items and need to be changed.

Latest posts

Members online

Back