need help with tunning Savage xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modified

Testing my new cam recorder and trying to tune my savage xl at the same time in 35 degree temps behind a mall in the town where i live, My wife was recording the vid and she's never did this before. Sorry for the long vid.
Could you guy's tell me what I'm doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/user/devilblade36962

Last edited by a moderator:
modified, just a suggestion but when tuning with the stock tank, only fill the tank half way due to the half-tank lean, if you start at full tank and first couple passes you get a nice tune going, but when the tank reaches below half the mill will start running hotter, now once you get this tune how you want it, start running full tanks and at this point it will run a little sluggish with a full tank but prevent any damage when the tank gets half empty...

sorry if you don't understand this, hard to explain for me for some reason, maybe someone else can chime in

modified, just a suggestion but when tuning with the stock tank, only fill the tank half way due to the half-tank lean, if you start at full tank and first couple passes you get a nice tune going, but when the tank reaches below half the mill will start running hotter, now once you get this tune how you want it, start running full tanks and at this point it will run a little sluggish with a full tank but prevent any damage when the tank gets half empty...

sorry if you don't understand this, hard to explain for me for some reason, maybe someone else can chime in

That's some great advice M0rphin3, I would have never thought about tunnig it with the half tank lean and richen it from there.

sound a bit lean on top also what fuel are you running and how many gallons on that motor make sure at wot have a nice smoke trail

sound a bit lean on top also what fuel are you running and how many gallons on that motor make sure at wot have a nice smoke trail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running 20% O'Donnell high performance racing fuel and i've put about 2 gallons thru it in about six months.

those would be one of the spots to check but also check the backplate and make sure the head is tightened down too along with the fuel lines tank seal and everything else

lower your idle gap sound to wide for one. if it still spudders after a long pass fatten up the top. But lean up the bottom a lil too after you close that gap. looking at it more now just close that gap... Pull off the filter and check that it is closing at idle and full brake. drop it under 1 mm if need be. I run my picco at .5 MM or even a lil less but I know how to tune well. This small gap can mess with your head if you don't know what your doing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back