Rotostart for Axial .28RR-2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldsavage

Hey everyone I have an Axial .28RR-2 that the pull start string and spring broke.
Id much prefer a rotostart but not sure what parts I need.
I believe I would need to swap out the back plate and get the roto start adapter, maybe LRP? Not sure.
The axial hex coming out the back is 11mm diameter which I think is smaller than standard.
It's totally different size and shape parts than the HPI f4.6 I have.
Pictures for reference. I really appreciate the help.

20240415_180816.jpg

20240415_180409.jpg

20240415_180402.jpg

20240414_202627.jpg

I'm wondering if I could get this part just for the shaft with the hex on the end and then get the second part, the roto start plate?

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20240415_181954_eBay.png

Screenshot_20240415_182425_eBay.png

This is the same problem as with the K-series HPI engines which have the 11mm starter shaft. The easy fix is to use the starter shaft from an SH mill, this will allow the use of a 12mm OWB so a standard roto-start can be used.
I have 3 HPI K5.9 mills, & 2 HPI K4.6HO using this configuration. These are basically the same as the Ariel mills as made by the same manufacturer. Not sure of the part number but below is a link to the item I used.

https://rcscrapyard.com/pull-starts...haft-fits-xtm-sh-force-and-converts-hpi-ts004
1713647322955.png

This is the same problem as with the K-series HPI engines which have the 11mm starter shaft. The easy fix is to use the starter shaft from an SH mill, this will allow the use of a 12mm OWB so a standard roto-start can be used.
I have 3 HPI K5.9 mills, & 2 HPI K4.6HO using this configuration. These are basically the same as the Ariel mills as made by the same manufacturer. Not sure of the part number but below is a link to the item I used.

https://rcscrapyard.com/pull-starts...haft-fits-xtm-sh-force-and-converts-hpi-ts004
View attachment 11851
Hey thanks for your reply! I ordered up that LRP part that looks identical, hopefully it is. I appreciate the info. I'll post the results here in a few days when it arrives.

Hey thanks for your reply! I ordered up that LRP part that looks identical, hopefully it is. I appreciate the info. I'll post the results here in a few days when it arrives.
The part you have ordered sounds and looks the same. The only thing I will say is to put a washer on the shaft between the backplate and the Hex to keep the 12mm hex in the centre of the roto-start. This helps to centre the load on the OWB as without the washer or shim the 12mm hex will not be in the centre of the OWB. Could cause un-necessary load on the one-way if not. Don't know but have put a 1mm washer on all mine and they are all working fine.

Last edited:
The part you have ordered sounds and looks the same. The only thing I will say is to put a washer on the shaft between the backplate and the OWB to keep the 12mm hex in the centre of the roto-start. This helps to centre the load on the OWB as without the washer or shim the 12mm hex will not be in the centre of the OWB. Could cause un-necessary load on the one-way if not. Don't know but have put a 1mm washer on all mine and they are all working fine.
I'll post up a picture when it arrives to make sure I follow what you're saying but I think I get it. Appreciate the tip.

Parts fit like a glove. New shaft vs old shaft. New shaf inserted in the back plate. New lrp roto start cover on

As far as the 1mm washer, I didn't have one, but it doesn't appear to need it. The owb is in the backplate, not in the roto start end cap like the HPI is, and the hex portion is already offset a bit into the hex "socket" due to a "lip" on the back plate, it sticks out a bit so it appears to be positioned well.

20240422_131505.jpg

20240422_131753.jpg

20240422_131839.jpg

20240422_132047.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back