Is it an air leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose2851

I am breaking in my new motor and it's done and now that I am tuning it I can't get it up into third gear it just loads up with fuel or flames out. If you have ever ran a truck without the line to the exhaust and it bogs or stalls it is doing the same thing as well as getting hot fast. Would this be consittered an air leak and what are usually the culprits. I read the sticky and am not sure what green slime is or even where to get it and can you use something else like vasaline. Thanks in advance
:violent-smiley-087:

You didn't seal carb and backplate before break-in? Shame on you lol.
Sounds like a leak to me but needles should be ok and not need Slime if motor is new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sealed it up but still can't get it to run at higher RPM's checked the fuel lines sealed the carb and back plate tuned it the way I was taught still nothing so sad:(

Sorry then I'm glad you sealed it first.
On the Slime then-it's a tire puncture sealant used in full sized cars or motorcycle tires and can be had at an auto parts store.
Still sounds like an air leak to me-I guess it could be from the needles.
I hope some other members help us out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only green slime I've ever used on my RC is from AE(Team Associated). It's a type of lube.

But that also sounds like a possible filter problem too. My F4.6 was acting that way STOCK, and the motor was sealed. Turned out my air filter was oversoaked with air filter oil.

I'd definetly look into your air filter and/or your fuel system first. It's all a method of trial and error. Try the easiest solutions first, then work your way to the harder ones. :)

Air leaks arent near as common as most think. If youve done a good job sealing, the most likely source would be the tank. I would suspect that your s is a tuning problem. Reset to factory settings and start from there.

What have you done so far? Your original posts dosent make sense. It should load up or flame out not both. Are you still using the same glow plug?

Ok so it's been quite the day haven't felt like throwing my truck in some months. After posting yesturday I went back to the drawing board here's what I found the air cleaner the LHS sold me was some HPi stock foam filter Knock off and wasn't what the motor needed for whatever reason I put the stock motor one on changed the glow plug and riched it right out then 1/8 at a time leaned it out and kazam wheelies down the block. I started out way to Lean some how too thankfully I have a temp gun. Thanks for everyones input and thanks grumpy I don't really no the difference between load up and flaming out all I know is the truck quits :)

Good call AoD (air filter) and Grumpy (glow plug) and props to Moose for finding it too!
Glad you took care of that problem and hopefully you wont see another for a while.

I started out way to Lean some how too thankfully I have a temp gun. Thanks for everyones input and thanks grumpy I don't really no the difference between load up and flaming out all I know is the truck quits :)

Ok, first, if it's a stock tank, it's going to lean out really bad at half tank. We call this half tank lean.

The reason, the Pneumatic pressure from the exaust has more force on the larger area, causing more fuel to enter the carb. Basically, it is able to work better. When the area decreases really badly (Like at half tank), it cannot exert the same amount of force on the fuel. Therefore, the engine will not receive as much fuel. This will cause the engine to run leaner, and sometimes with halftank lean, I've noticed over 40-60 degree differences in temps, just from it. IF you search the forum for "Midtank mods" You'll find a ton of them. I just purchased the hellfire midtank mod from Platinum RC product. It works WONDERS. My rig runs so much better now, I can actually tune it!. http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/products.html That's the website. The kit was really high quality, and works extremely well.

Loading up.. Hesitation, and a TON of smoke. That's a loading up problem. Usually the engine will stay running, but if it idles much, it will most likely choke itself out. That's a sign of three things.

1: Dirty/clogged air filter - It's not letting enough air into the engine!
2: Bad glow plug - It just can't ignite all of the fuel!!!
3: Just too rich of a tune - Lean it up a little!

Now, sputtering and flaming out can happen during lean times. Running too lean, the engine will actually bog down really badly under full throttle situations. If you hammer it, and it just seems sluggish, and not constant at all, it's probably to lean. If it pops, jumps, and runs just aweful, you could be running dangerously lean!!!! You want a setting where the engine runs STRONG, but also puts out NICE smoke. Only then should you start pulling out the temp gauge. :)

If there's anything else you need to know, don't be afraid to ask, that's why we are here! :)

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out I found this info to be very helpful thank :resp: you so much

Hey, you're welcome backwoods :) This things come along with experience. And passing down the information you learn to others is a good thing in my book. That's exactly why I do it. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back