Heat cycle break-in in cold temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi6

I am hopefully breaking in my new STS 30 this weekend and needed some advise on engine temps during break-in with it being 10-20* F outside. Should I still shoot for an engine temp of 200* each cycle? Anything else I need to do because of the cold temps?

wrap the head in tin foil or a sock and keep temps above 200 to reduce premature wear ont he sleeve because its not expanding fully

What crzy-svg-usr said. Be prepared for a gallon plus break-in. Its a long break-in but its a great engine!

if u have another engine running right now is suggest holding off on the breakin, or at least wait till a warmer day

Thanks for the info. I do have my original engine running, but i'm so excited that I don't think I can wait to break-in the new one. Maybe I will set something up with a heater in my garage and then somehow vent the smoke.

patients is a virtue, improper breakin without the metals expanding greatly reducs engine life just keep that in mind on ur new investment

I hear you on that. So what is the ideal outside temp to break in an engine.

something you can bear standing outside in lol i never do heat cycle witht he who idle deal, search up on some other forums on what the pro 1/8 guys do to break in their engines, called running breakin or something where it involves no idle time

how i break all my engines in

Please tell me more about runnin breakin?? I ask because I am buying my new savage this weekend. I live in st louis and the temp here will be between 20 and 30 degrees this weekend.

I have read about heat cycles and breaking in, but was wondering who actually just unboxes their savage and runs em??

What I ended up doing was breaking the engine in (Idling the first tank) in the patio door, with a fan blowing air from inside.

It kept the temps around 250, and left a nice oil puddle in the threshold, but I got the first tank done and just waited for a decent day for the next tank.

Doing it over, I would use the tinfoil and sock though.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about my decision to get a savge. Everything I read about people doing upgrades tells me about them all buying new engine. Are these things that prone to failure?

I'd doubt it.

Just like people upgrade the shocks for a better ride, they want a bigger engine for more power.
Why rebuild the stock motor for $60+ when you can get a new one for $100 more with some more umph?

Agreed, do the heat-cycle method and pre-heat the engine with a heat gun or hair drier before even trying to start it. Once it starts get it to 200F or so, and keep it around there.

I've done tin foil around the head with good success. A sock or rag will also help and be less prone to glitching.

A lot of racers are doing a quick high-rpm break-in these days and claim it works, but it sure makes me a bit nervous.

thanks for all of the advice. I can't wait to get it bought but hate to think of the total price. I am starting with nothing.

Just get a truck and have fun with it, you don't NEED any upgrades right away. There are a few things that are nice, but you'll learn what you like and don't like so much after you get some miles on it and you'll be able to decide what to upgrade, if anything.

The stock engines are fine, but engines don't last forever. Sometimes people simply wear them out, sometimes they just want more power.

yea... Not worried about the hop ups right now, just making sure I get all the other things right. Like a temp gun extra glow plugs wrenches things like that.

I speak from experience, stay stock as long as you can! Once you mod, anything, you will want to mod everything.

Latest posts

Members online

Back