Calculate gear ratios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

By Bruce Johnson
(Doesgo on HPISF & former Slap Ma Fro Owner)

This is a very long post, obviously, but when I try to explain something I tend to get wordy! It's not as complex as it appears, I just wanted to make things very clear.

Getting all the tooth counts and keeping them in order is the tough part, the rest is just simple math and it's all about multiplying gear ratios (not adding them).

First, let's use a buggy as a simple example (no transmission) that has the following for gears: 13-tooth bell, 46-tooth spur, 12-tooth pinion, and a 43-tooth ring gear.

Start at the engine and work your way down the drivetrain. Since the bell has fewer teeth than the spur, the engine will spin a few times for every one rotation of the spur, right? How many? Divide the tooth counts: 13 / 46 = 0.283. That means the spur spins 0.283 times for every one rotation of the clutch bell.

Do the same thing all the way through the drivetrain. Take the tooth count of the drive gear and divide it by the tooth count of the driven gear. In our simple example:

Bell (13T) / Spur (46T) = 0.283

Pinion (12T) / Ring Gear (43T) = 0.279

That's it for our buggy example. Now multiply the two ratios together and the result is the number of times the differential (and thus, the wheels) will rotate for every engine rotation:

0.283 x 0.279 = 0.079

Okay, so now we know the wheels do 0.079 rotations per engine rotation. But how far is that down the road? Well, what's the circumference of the tire? Simple: wrap a flexible measuring tape around the tire tread. Math: measure the tire's height (diameter) and multiply by pi (3.14159). If this buggy's tire is 4" in diameter, the circumference is 4.00 x 3.14159 = 12.566". So every time the tire goes around one time, the buggy moves 12.566 inches. Back to the engine revolution...

Since the tire rotates 0.079 times for every engine rev and each FULL tire rotation causes the vehicle to travel 12.566 inches, just multiply those two numbers together to find out how far the vehicle travels for every engine rev: 0.079 x 12.566 = 0.993". For every engine rev, the buggy will move just under one inch.

======================================

How to apply this to the Savage? Same thing, just more numbers involved thanks to the transmission. All you have to do is write down the number of teeth on each gear and note which gears drive (or are driven by) other gears. In the buggy example there were two gear ratios to consider because the spur is connected to the pinion by a dogbone. But if that dogbone disappeared and the pinion was driven directly by the spur's teeth, you'd have to add that ratio to the equation. In other words, when there's a driveshaft between two gears, the drive ratio between the gears is 1:1, and as you know, anything multiplied by one doesn't change anything, so we just ignore it.

I don't know the gearing layout of the Savage transmission, but I'll throw out some numbers so we can walk through it.

Bell: 13T
Spur: 47T
Internal #1: 16T
Internal #2: 20T
Internal #3: 24T
Pinion: 13T
Ring: 43T

But what connects to what via what method? This part is crucial to obtaining the correct numbers!

Bell/spur connect via gear teeth. Spur/Internal #1 connect via shaft (no ratio needed). I#1/I#2 via teeth. I#2/I#3 via teeth. I#3/pinion via shaft (no ratio needed). pinion/ring via teeth. Thus the equation:

(13 / 47) x (16 / 20) x (20 / 24) x (13 / 43) = 0.055, which is 0.055 tire rotations for every engine rotation. Assuming a 6" diameter tire gives us a circumference of (6" x 3.14159) 18.850". Take that times the 0.055 to get the total distance travelled per engine rotation: 0.055 x 18.850 = 1.037". For every engine rev, the Savage will move just over one inch.

====================================

Remember, those Savage numbers are theoretical. You need to plug the tooth counts for your vehicle, and only use the transmission gears involved. If you want the answer to related to when the truck is in third gear, only use the internal tranny gears that are involved when using 3rd gear, and determine which are connected via their teeth and which are connected via a common shaft. Also, if there's an idler gear involved (a gear that's only there for further gear reduction or to take up space, such as the middle gear on a three-gear setup like that in most stadium trucks), you need to include it in the equation.

Also, don't forget to measure your tires and plug that number in as well. Feel free to post all your info here and I can help with the calculation if you wish, or just PM me.

Oh, one more thing: tire growth! You've seen tires ballooning when a truck "diffs out," correct? Well, the faster an RC vehicle goes, the taller the tires get. It's not very noticeable until usually over 30mph or so (on trucks), but if you're into top speed, it makes a difference. The circumference of the tire increases, making the vehicle go farther per engine revolution. Here's a shot of Masher 2000 tire growth on the back of my RC10GT...even the front tires were ballooning slightly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in May 2009, BigDan89 linked me to this information when i asked for help calculating gearing in the shout box.

I sent a pm to Bruce (Doesgo) hoping that he still had his pm's linked to his e-mail account so that i could ask his permission to make a thread on hpisf with his information.

Here is the content of the e-mail:

hi Bruce. don't know if you remember me, I'm frddyj from hpisf. you were very helpful to me when i got all my FLM setup & other stuff from smf.

haven't seen you around much and hope all is well.

a budd of mine linked me to a thread you made on another forum regarding how to calculate gearing information and i found it extremely helpful and easy to follow.

wanted to ask you if:

1. you wouldnt mind making that same thread on hpi savage forum, or if youre busy

2. if i could have permission to copy & paste your information onto our site, (giving you full credit of course) and making a link back to your original thread?

again, you put a lot of time & work into that thread & it has helped me tremendously.

again, thank you for the info and hope that this e-mail finds you well.

thanks Bruce, take care.
Freddy

Boston, MA

Bruce's Reply:

Hey Freddy,
I'm glad you've gotten some use out of that thread! You definitely have my permission to copy it to the HPISF or anywhere else you'd like. HPISF is a great place and anything to support it and its members is a good thing.

Credit would be nice, but you don't have to link back to the original if you don't want to. It's up to you.

Take care,
Bruce

Thanks again Bruce, you are a class-act! :resp:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back